A little while ago I was pinning my little heart on Pinterest and I came across a cute diy project pin for ceramic mugs decorated with Sharpies. After doing a little recon on various blogs, I decided to go buy some supplies and try this out myself.
Surprise, surprise they came out really well! It did take a little bit of patience but it was worth it. I turned a couple of plain dollar store mugs into something really cute!
To find out how I made the mugs and a few project hacks just keep on reading!
What You’ll Need
- Clean the mugs and dry them completely.
- Shake your oil based sharpie pens well and draw out the designs on your mugs.
- Wait at least 30 seconds before touching the areas that you have drawn on.
- Let them dry for 24 hrs after you finish decorating them.
- Bake the mugs in the oven for at 30 minutes at 425.
- Let them cool and you’re done!
- Use your pen and paper to practice the designs beforehand.
- Use tape to help you draw straight lines. You can also use the help of an object with a straight edge or draw small lines then connect the dots.
- If you make any mistakes just put some pure acetone or alcohol on a cue tip, the pen comes right off!
A few pictures of the final product 🙂
They don’t look perfect but in gives them character (at least that’s what we’ll tell ourselves haha). Also if you’re giving them away as gifts you can also date the bottom of the mugs.
I hope you enjoyed this diy post!